MarineShaft was called upon shortly after the damage for a repair solution and quotation.
The owner contacted us for the repair job and it was decided to tow the vessel to Skagen. Two MarineShaft technicians got onboard whilst at anchorage off Skagen to dismantle and remove the damaged intermediate shaft bearing.
The work took place in the evening, and the following morning the vessel was towed to a lay-by berth in Skagen, where we picked up the bearing and transported it 50 km. to our workshops in Hirtshals. We used our own truck for this transport.
In-house the re-metaling of white metal in the split intermediate shaft bearing could begin.
- Cleaning, inspection, and measurements of the bearing shells.
- Cleaning and machining of the bearing shells as preparation for soldering.
- Tinning of bearing shells as preparation for soldering with white metal.
- Soldering of the bearing shells with white metal, WM81.
- Machining of the bearing shells according to the original drawing.
- Control measurements of the bearing.
- Ultrasonic test of the white metal’s bonding to the base material performed by 3rd party FORCE Technology.
The owner had hired an independent surveyor, who attended the vessel, and he also visited our workshop facilities in Hirtshals.
Once the in-house repair was completed, we transported the bearing back to the vessel and our in-situ work began:
- Refit of the intermediate shaft bearing?
- Load-test/Jack-up test of the intermediate shaft after installation.
- Attending and supervising during the vessels sea trial
We attended a successful sea trial, and our repair was fully class-approved by the Class Society ABS
This entire job (from disassembling to installation and final sea trial) was carried out in only 8 days!
Repair and Re-casting of stern tube bearings
If you need a renewal of white metal in a stern tube bearing, we have the capacity for centrifugal casting of up to 400 kg of white metal. The white metal is melted using a purpose-built crucible furnace and the centrifugal casting is carried out with the bearing placed in our lathe.
Reconditioning or replacement
It is our goal, to be able to provide you with a short delivery time no matter if you need a repair or a replacement of your bearings. In case the bearing housing or shells are damaged and also need to be replaced, we have cast iron tubes suitable for this purpose in stock. We carry a wide variety of sizes of these tubes and have materials in stock up to Ø1000/750x2000mm.
We keep a large stock of materials for manufacturing all types of components in different grades if reconditioning/repair is not an option. Please note that we also stock composite-bearing materials.