Registered Professional Engineer Queensland (RPEQ)

Home Membership Registered Professional Engineer Queensland

The Royal Institution of Naval Architects is approved by the Board of Professional Engineers Queensland (BPEQ) as an Assessment Entity, i.e. RPEQ i.e. authorised to assess applications for registration as a Registered Professional Engineer Queensland (RPEQ).

Individuals who wish to apply for RPEQ registration with BPEQ have two options available:

Route 1: Chartered Members who wish to apply for registration are required to be currently practising at Chartered Member level.

Route 2: Non-Chartered Members (MRINA) must first qualify for CEng and be currently practising at Chartered Member level.

If the member’s qualifications and competencies satisfy the requirements as set out in Section 10 of the Professional Engineers Act 2002 (QLD), they will be sent a letter confirming that they have met the requirements. Application should then be made to the BPEQ for registration as RPEQ, submitting the letter. No charge is made for this initial assessment letter.

Registered Professional Engineer Queensland. Two male engineers working

“RINA is proud to be an assessment entity for RINA members working in the Queensland state” – Chris Boyd, CEO 


The Royal Institution of Naval Architects is approved as an Assessment Entity, i.e. authorised to assess applications for registration as RPEQ.

A successful assessment of qualifications and competencies under Part 2 of the Professional Engineers Act 2002 (QLD) is required before lodging an application with the Board of Professional Engineers QLD for registration as a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ). Applicants must apply for assessment under an approved assessment scheme.

Following successful assessment, the Royal Institution of Naval Architects will issue a Letter of Assessment to be sent by the applicant to the Board of Professional Engineers QLD with BPEQ Form 2 – Applying for registration as RPEQ


Requirements for candidates

Applications for registration as RPEQ will be assessed against the academic and professional competence requirements for Chartered membership of the Institution, i.e. Corporate member of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects (MRINA) and Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the Engineering Council of the UK. Applicants are not required to be members of the Institution.


Academic Qualification

The required academic qualification is either:

1. a relevant Washington Accord recognised engineering degree or

2. an academic qualification that has been assessed by an accredited authority under the Washington Accord 1989 to assess qualifications as equivalent


Professional Competence

Applicants are required to have achieved defined standards of professional competence in the fields of design, engineering practice and management, and .to be currently practising naval architecture or related engineering discipline at that level. You must have a minimum of four years’ experience working in the industry post-graduation. Guidance on the requirements for Chartered membership


Route 1: Chartered Members of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects

Applicants for registration as RPEQ who Chartered are already members of the Institution are required to provide an updated Professional Review Report, detailing professional activities undertaken since gaining Chartered membership. Applications for registration should be forwarded on RINA (BPEQ) Form 1


Route 2: Non-Chartered Members of the Institution

Applicants for registration as BPEQ who are not members of the Institution, or who are members but not registered as a Chartered Engineer will be required to submit a Professional Review Report, detailing their academic achievement and professional activities since graduation. They will also be required to undertake a Professional Review Interview. Guidance on the Professional Review Report and the Professional Review Interview

Applicants are required to submit certified photocopies of their academic qualifications. Applicants will be advised if individual assessment of non-accredited academic qualifications is required, and information to be submitted.

Successful applicants will not be elected as members of the Institution or registered with the Engineering Council, unless requested with their application. Appropriate membership and registration fees will apply. Applications should be made on RINA (BPEQ) Form 2


Identity Check

Under the regulations of our license, RINA must conduct verify the identity of applicants for assessment under the scheme in accordance with the recognised 100 point identification check utilised within relevant State and Federal Government Agencies.

You must provide a total of 100 points of Australian or state-issued documents to prove your identity online.

Different types of identity documents are worth different points. You can use different combinations of documents to make up your 100 points, but you must include at least 1 primary document as part of your 100 points.


Document Certification & Language Standards

Applicants for assessment must include certified copies of documents they provide, certified by authorised persons in accordance with the relevant State legislation where the documents originate. For example, if the documents are being sent from Queensland, then only persons authorised by s19 of the Oaths Act 1867 should be accepted. Please contact our membership team if you are unsure if your document certifiers meet the requirements.

Applicants for assessment who have documents in a language other than English, provide those documents translated into English in accordance with the following guidelines:

If the documents are translated within Australia:

  • The translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) –
  • The Australian Institute for Interpreters and Translators (AUSIT) Directory of Translators provide a current list of qualified, active AUSIT members who have NAATI accreditation in translating –

If the documents are translated in a country outside Australia:

  • The translator must be approved by the authorities in the country where the translation is made.
  • The International Federation of Translators (IFT) – – provide a list of translation associations, some approved by authorities to provide certified translation.



All fees listed below are Australian Dollars (AUD), and maybe subject to fluctuation in the exchange rate.

  Existing Chartered Member  Existing Member (apple for Charted status)  Non-member 
PRI Interview Fee N/A $115 $115
Engineering Council Registration Fee N/A $125 $125
Assessment Fee ( Includes letter of confirmation to BPEQ) $40  $40 $40
Annual Fee $50 $50 $50

CPD Requirements for post-BPEQ Registration

All registrants of the BPEQ scheme are required to complete a minimum of 50 hours of CPD activity per year (totally 150 hours over 3 years).

At least 75% of CPD hours must relate to technical matters relevant to the area of engineering in which the person seeks assessment and the remaining should relate to engineering practice (for example; first aid courses, occupational health and safety training and mentoring junior engineers does not relate to technical matters but may be relevant to an engineer’s practice).

To continue to be eligible for registration, RPEQs must comply with the Board’s Continuing Registration Requirements (CRRPolicy (2.02). BPEQ’s CRR policy states that RPEQs must:

a.    complete a minimum of 150 hours of structured continuing professional development (CPD) over a three-year period leading up to the renewal or restoration of their registration;

b.    undertake a minimum 75% (112.5 hours) of the 150 hours as technical CPD;

c.    undertake a maximum 25% (37.5 hours) of the 150 hours as non-technical CPD;

d.    undertake as a minimum, 1 hour of non-technical CPD covering ethics; and

e.    undertake as a minimum, 1 hour of non-technical CPD covering risk management.


CPD is designed to extend the RPEQ’s knowledge and skills in their area/s of engineering. The Board has seven categories in which CPD hours can be claimed:



Formal post-graduate study or tertiary course units not undertaken for award purposes

There is no limit to the maximum number of hours you can claim

Short courses, workshops, seminars and discussion groups, conferences, technical inspections and technical meetings

There is no limit to the maximum number of hours you can claim

Structured learning activities in the workplace that extend competence in the area/s of engineering

Maximum 75 hours

Private study which extend knowledge and skills

Maximum 18 hours

Service to the engineering profession

Maximum 50 hours

Preparation and presentation of papers for courses, conferences, seminars or publication

maximum of 45 hours for papers published in journals and conference proceedings, or a maximum of 75 hours for papers subject to critical peer review

Practitioners employed in tertiary teaching or academic research

A minimum of 40 hours of industry involvement must be claimed


CPD Recording Keeping

BPEQ requires RPEQs to maintain their own CPD records.

It is good practice for RPEQs to review and update their CPD records regularly so that it remains accurate and can be provided for auditing purposes. RPEQs must also keep evidence in support of the CPD activities, such as certificate of completion, attendance records, invoice/receipt, in-house CPD records and attendance confirmation emails.

RPEQs should also keep details on how the CPD activities have extended their knowledge in the area/s of engineering for which they are or were registered.


Further Information

Further information can be obtained from