Batteries & Fuel Cells

Quick wins: 15% of the global fleet is ripe for decarbonisation, says Powercell

Quick wins: 15% of the global fleet is ripe for decarbonisation, says Powercell

By Johan Burgren, business manager Marine, PowerCell   To date, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) has focused many of its greenhouse gas (GHG) regulations on bigger ships in the merchant fleet that make up 85% of the industry’s carbon footprint. But it is the other 15% – such as short-sea fixed route shipping – where ultra-low- and […]

AYK Marine has disruptive ambitions for marine battery market

AYK Marine has disruptive ambitions for marine battery market

Andorra-headquartered AYK Marine batteries is emerging as one of the prime disruptors in the marine battery industry thanks to innovation in design, safety and driving down production costs. AYK, established by marine battery pioneer and electrical engineer Chris Kruger in 2018, is seeing a surge in demand since opening a new state-of-the-art automated manufacturing plant in […]

Hanwha develops energy storage systems for large ocean-going vessels

Hanwha develops energy storage systems for large ocean-going vessels

South Korean company develops new ESS technology for large ocean-going vessels The most recent acquisition by South Korea-based technology and engineering conglomerate Hanwha Group has had a rocky start. Formerly known as Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME), the newly rebranded Hanwha Ocean posted losses of 159.1 billion won (US$120 million) in Q2 2023. However, […]

Yanmar leads coastal hydrogen fuel cell charge

Yanmar leads coastal hydrogen fuel cell charge

Yanmar Power Technology (YPT) has commercially launched a customisable maritime hydrogen fuel cell system, specifically targeting vessels on coastal routes “where hydrogen refuelling is relatively accessible”, the company states. YPT tells Ship & Boat International: “At this time, we are looking at applying the technology to sightseeing ships or similar with a capacity of about […]

Incat Tasmania building world’s largest battery electric ship

Incat Tasmania building world’s largest battery electric ship

130m-long vessel to be fitted with a 40MWh battery energy storage system that will power a series of electric propulsion system and waterjets In a  significant change to earlier plans, Australian shipyard Incat Tasmania has announced that the 130m lightweight inland ro-pax ordered by Uruguayan operator Buquebús, first announced in 2019 and already under construction, […]

Biofuels: the solution to clutter-free decarbonisation?

Biofuels: the solution to clutter-free decarbonisation?

Dr Nicholas Ball, CEO of XFuel, argues that adopting biofuels may help the maritime sector to decarbonise instantly without costly portside or onboard infrastructure The shipping industry’s collective environmental footprint is a growing problem. As other sectors make substantive progress towards UN climate goals, and as public pressure intensifies, the shipping industry’s slow progress is […]

Gennal’s Blue G batteries keep things cool

Gennal’s Blue G batteries keep things cool

A new non-flammable battery type, based on vanadium redox technology, will soon have a chance to demonstrate its benefits in a maritime setting Class society ABS has issued New Technology Qualification (NTQ) status to a non-flammable marine battery technology developed by Gennal Engineering of Singapore. The battery system, called Blue G, is reportedly based on […]

Lithium-CO2 batteries: the next step?

Lithium-CO2 batteries: the next step?

On paper, Li-CO2 batteries could boast far superior energy density to today’s state-of-the-art battery types – but this nascent technology requires further analysis and development, writes May Chan Lithium-CO2 (Li-CO2) batteries are a relatively new type of battery that uses CO2 as the cathode and lithium as the anode to generate electrical energy. Compared to […]

Zero.63 catamaran promises greener leisure boating

Zero.63 catamaran promises greener leisure boating

Archipelago Yachts and Chartwell Marine’s catamaran concept makes a convincing case for an environmentally sound yet long-range leisure vessel, writes Stevie Knight The new Archipelago zero.63 is a methanol fuelled, 18.3m conundrum, combining a number of elements that you wouldn’t necessarily expect in a single vessel. So, how – and why – have very disparate […]

You need to login to contact with the Listing Owner. Click Here to log in.